PALAZZO TURRITO DEI GIANFIGLIAZZI
The time period of the construction of this building, now called 'Palazzo Gianfigliazzi', goes back to the 14th century and its completion was part of that magnificent project that began the transformation of the city which would characterise the following period up until the demolition of the defensive walls of the second circle and the construction of the walls of the third circle (1330), as well as the building of the Santa Trinità Bridge in 1252.
THE BUILDING WAS INITIALLY THE DISTINGUISHED RESIDENCE OF THE GUELFA DEI RUGGERINI
and it looked like a tower house similar to a small fort, with the higher part ending with a real Guelph crenellation.
The building was demolished during the Battle of Montaperti and later the ownership passed to the Fastelli family and then in the 15th century, to the Gianfigliazzi who were already the owners of a grand patrimony of houses located on what is now called Lungarno Corsini.
The palace, which still preserves its 14th century ironwork, underwent important restoration in the 19th century, with renovation work done in a neo-Renaissance style: the façade was designed in the typical style of many historical palaces of Via Tornabuoni with decorations in stone lumps around the windows, the portals and the corners, where the arris is emphasised by an ashlar frieze on both sides that go from the bottom up to the roof. Another characteristic of that time was the lancet arch shape of the windows.
Further changes were made during the years immediately following the last war, also after the bombing of Florence.
The so-called tower house was built in the middle of the 13th century by the Guelfa dei Ruggerini family and later passed to the Fastelli or Pietrobono family and at the beginning of the 1300s was purchased by the Gianfigliazzi. It was their residence until the end of 1700. It rises up at the beginning of Via de' Tornabuoni right after the Santa Trinità Bridge next to the Santa Trinità Church.
THE NAME OF THE GIANFIGLIAZZI FAMILY COMES FROM
A CERTAIN GIOVANNI, THE SON OF GALEAZZO
(crasis of Gian son of Azzo). He can be considered the founder of the family name.
The Gianfigliazzi did not have positions in the Florentine Republic because they were considered magnates and because they tended towards the Guelphs, but following the Battle of Benevento, which marked the fall of the Ghibellines, and with the expulsion of the Duke of Athens from Florence which they contributed to validly, the Gianfigliazzi received honours and positions.
Until the year 1530, the family had thirty priors and ten gonfalons, several knights of the gold spur, military commissaries and ambassadors. They built palaces, loggias and towers in the Santa Trinità quarter in Florence and were apparently also owners of the houses surrounding the church. The Gianfigliazzi family died out in 1764 with Canon Rinaldo di Lodovico.